Friday, January 8, 2010

Rainbow Sky Enterprises meet Genocide Machine

I went on with encounters like this for a few more nights when I came to a very special wormhole, J210355, where I came to a rather overdue conclusion. Most nights that I went out “holing,” as I called it, I would spend about 2-3 hours searching mostly empty holes and find typically one maybe two kills a night. However, some nights I would come across exceptionally busy holes in which I could rack up 3 to 5 kills in a single engagement. If some holes were better than others, why was I leaving them, why not just stay put. So I formulated a plan to log off in J210355 and lead all future expeditions from that hole and always return to it. The things that I would come across because of that decision are some of the most bizarre and funny things I’ve ever seen in EVE. This next week is the period I alluded to earlier.

The first night in the hole I discovered an interesting phenomenon that I had not read about anywhere else. Until this point I thought there was nothing that would prevent you from jumping through a wormhole other than the 5 minute timer that prevents you from jumping through a wormhole in the same direction. It was my understanding that someone jumping through a wormhole for the first time could immediately jump back through if they were attacked. As I watched Rainbow Sky Enterprises move a number of haulers in and out through their hole being very diligent about their 5 minute timers I figured id uncloak and try and alpha one anyways, after all what is the fun in assuming they will get away without trying. What I quickly discovered is that they couldn’t immediately jump back through the same hole, they seemed to be trying, but they couldn’t. I killed an Iteron V and a Mammoth because of this phenomenon. Anyone with more experience than I did will know that when you jump through a wormhole there is about a 10 second period in which you can not jump back through the same hole, you get the “session change already in progress” message. Whether this is intentional or a side effect of the session change process is irrelevant, you can’t jump back through immediately. It’s not a huge deal, you can just hold your cloak for that long before you jump away, but RSE never got that memo, of course neither had I at the time. In the same night I stumbled across one of their uncloaked cov ops ships and popped it and his pod. I was really starting to feel at home. As planned I logged both characters out in the hole for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Session change timer is 30 seconds from the time of a system change/dock/undock. Just fyi.

    -Sianen

    ReplyDelete