Monday, January 18, 2010

His nissan stanza

Imagine that you were going to rob a military base. You have three people, two in tanks and one in a combat helicopter. You research what the capabilities of the base are and what type of resistance you should expect. You create a detailed plan of attack making the most out of your weapons abilities. Your plan goes flawlessly and you level all the resistance. Your plan for looting the valuables is that everyone go home except one guy who plans on loading up his ’83 Nissan Stanza with as much valuables as possible.

The plan of course is ridiculous. Who would go through such an intensive plan of attack to leave the most important part to a guy in a four door piece of crap with no defenses. Holies enact this exact plan virtually every day in unknown space. I had been out holing and found a particularly deep series of unknown systems. There were about 6 systems in total in this network of holes and all the holes were on good timers so I spent the afternoon roaming around looking for kills.

This one particular group of holies had been alerted to my presence earlier when I was scanning for holes out of their system so it took a good while for them to become active again. I came upon 3 of them running a magnetometric site in a Raven, Hurricane and Rokh if I recall correctly. I watched patiently as they finished up the kills pretty quickly. The Rokh was 200km off the site warp in sniping. He remained initially to fly cover while the other two came back in destroyers to loot the site. Once they were done with the wrecks however the Rokh and one of the destroyers warped back to the tower leaving a solo destroyer to loot the 7-8 cans the site had.

Now this whole time I was attempting to work myself into position around a distant can such that I would have been >250km from the Rokh, thus unlockable, but within disruption range of anyone looting it. It took me a good while warping out and in and driving through debris to get in position so when the Rokh eventually just warped off to leave his buddy defenseless I was actually a little let down I couldn’t play out my beautiful kill. Nevertheless, on his last can I uncloaked and one shot him, which was a surprise, he must have had his MWD on. I two shot his pod and looted his rather lack-luster wreck before warping off. On scan I could see his buddies in the tower getting in assault frigs, but I was gone before they had a chance for any revenge. Unfortunately the only can-drop pop’d with the wreck and thus we were both out any decent loot.

If you spend the good part of an hour running a site and looting it, why would you pull your combat cover out 5 minutes before you were finished during the most important part, securing the loot. I understand perfectly that the value of the cans in a class 2-3 mag site is probably less than the wrecks, which they got, but they did spend the time to loot them, so why not spend the time to keep the Rokh around?

2 comments:

  1. I think i know the answer to this one...:D
    ..many times i was on both sides of the fence..
    ..the attacker and the attacked...
    I also dont leave combat ships on site when is finished..and why...
    coz lonely stealth bomber is the least that can happen to you..
    I mean if you lose a destroyer full of loot and pod with only necessary implants (few +3s sometimes only for atributes tied up with the skill you are training atm) imao you passed very cheap...
    ..And imao better to put away in a safe place(pos for example) those combat ships asap, coz every minute you are out there you are more vulnerable to attack...
    As i said lonely stealth bomber is no biggie and if you lose destroyer/pod and some loot ok...but 10+ man t3/t2 gang is much greater danger to you...
    And i know, coz i attacked people at the sleeper sites many more times than suffer attack myself, that there is a very little chance youll get out of it alive if they do attack correctly, coz if somebody is attacking you he is going to win probably coz he is prepared for you...
    ..id say..less than 10% chance that youll survive..
    Many times now we had a situation where only seconds after completing site someone turns up in wh searching for kill...so then you could salvage very carefully with a lot of warping and dumping loot at ss and try your luck...
    I honestly fly in much smaller gangs than 10+ t3/t2 gang thou..but its all the same, we always try to attack victims before they finish the site to get their expensive bs-s/t3 cruisers/command ships/those pesky annoying drakes...and afterwards maybe salvage / loot their site when they run away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are absolutely right, I never thought of it that way. thanks for the insight, turns out i'm a tiny little ferocious fish in a big pond

    ReplyDelete