Friday, January 8, 2010

A more civilized age

Free from having to camp RSE, I took a few days off and settled back into civilized life, but I was back in the cockpit picking off holies in no time. I managed to net another destroyer and his loot after watching him run the site in a myrmidon first. It was incredibly painful to watch as he MWD’d between all the sleepers, before he blasted them and put his drones first out and then on the target. He did finally finish and like clockwork warped out and then back in a destroyer. I got lucky and was already at the wreck that was the furthest from him at warp in. He looted the whole site in a flash and drove over to the last wreck, where I sat 10km away cloaked. F1, lock, F2, F3 and he was dead. I warped my alt in to loot his wreck and he convo’d me in local:

Tortheldrin > nicely done
Tortheldrin > the one second i look away you jumped me, lol
Tortheldrin > weren't any nanoribbons in there though :p
Genocide Forge > nope
Genocide Forge > i watche dyou run the whole site
Genocide Forge > gotta run though ltr
Tordran > see ya
Tordran > well played

He got his pod out which I’m glad for, he seemed like a decent guy. Later that night I found myself back in the neighboring hole of the Imicus I killed in “Limited edition killmails.” The locals had double bubbled the exits and I saw an Imicus and a thorax on scan. Now a thorax is not a commonly seen ship in unknown space so I was intrigued, I combat probed him until I realized he was at the other exit I had already probed down earlier. I warped in to find him pounding on one of the bubbles with his drones at point blank range. I checked his age and saw that he was about 2 years old. Now I may have managed to snag a lot of KMs lately, but that doesn’t make me a pvp champion. I know full well that ganking a bunch of miners, haulers and probers in worm space isn’t exactly the toughest combat situation. It takes skill to do so undetected, but it doesn’t exactly prepare me for one on one pvp. So every time I uncloak on a combat ship I’ll be honest, I’m a little scared. Since he was already in a bubble I decided to uncloak at about 35km. After the first salvo hit he jumped through the WH that was right there. Unfortunately for him he left behind his 5 hammerhead IIs, which would eventually be his undoing. I reapproached the hole and to my surprise saw it pulse, so I put a bomb onto it as I was about 20km at the time. He uncloaked and raced for the bubble edge, which wasn’t far as it was only a medium bubble. I don’t recall if he turned his MWD on, but I hit his armor like a ton of bricks so I assume so. He was shortly thereafter in his pod stuck in the bubble. I had 2 torps left just enough to kill a pod. Of course I happened to have one of his drones targeted so instead I sunk 2 torps into a single hammerhead II as he ever so slowly reached the edge of the bubble. When all the smoke cleared I’m glad I didn’t get his pod:

Genocide Machine > boy slow and painful (I was still trying to get a torp on his pod at this point)
Genocide Machine > stupid reload (I had failed)
Genocide Machine > gf
Lord Crazylike > ya
Lord Crazylike > gf man
Lord Crazylike > perfect bomb drop
Genocide Machine > i do this alot
Lord Crazylike > lol i can tell
Lord Crazylike > u nuked one of my newer guys
Lord Crazylike > good shooting on that one
Genocide Machine > although typically not against people who can actually fight back
Lord Crazylike > lol
Genocide Machine > its too bad u loist your drones
Lord Crazylike > ya
Lord Crazylike > so, i take you you wont let me pass thru at all then?
Lord Crazylike > wow. too tired to type right. whats it going to take for my fleet to pass thru?
Genocide Machine > u can go
Genocide Machine > your fleet?
Lord Crazylike > aye
Genocide Machine > umm how many?
Lord Crazylike > 5
Genocide Machine > lol
Genocide Machine > im only one man
Lord Crazylike > lol
Lord Crazylike > i dont feel like a combat brekaout
Genocide Machine > ummm, well ill let everyone through for 10M?
Lord Crazylike > lol
Lord Crazylike > If we make it to our WH entry safley sure.
Genocide Machine > well now im enticed
Lord Crazylike > lol
Lord Crazylike > well we can just drop some BS and HACs in here if you would prefer
Genocide Machine > id prefer not that, but i can always stay cloaked and so far i like you
Lord Crazylike > mmk
(GF scouts their home system to see a rokh 115km off the WH)
Genocide Forge > u canall head on out no trouble from me
Genocide Forge > that rokh will fuck my shit up
Lord Crazylike > lol
Lord Crazylike > So you friend with those ASB guys?
Genocide Forge > no
Genocide Forge > so what the deal with that group umentioned?
Lord Crazylike > we are talking about what u are doing jumping around lol
Genocide Machine > oh this is what i do.... solo pvp in wms
Genocide Machine > *WHs
Lord Crazylike > nice
Genocide Machine > well sort of solo
Lord Crazylike > lol
Lord Crazylike > ur alt scouts and Machine kills
Genocide Machine > yeah
Lord Crazylike > its a good setup
Genocide Machine > last week i camped the same corp for a week until they paid or left the system
Genocide Machine > they left
Lord Crazylike > wow
Genocide Machine > http://www.eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=111904 it was the rainbow sky guys
Lord Crazylike > Is that what u are doing in this one? Just camping the POS here?
Genocide Machine > i got alot of other kills too though
Genocide Machine > no
Genocide Machine > that required WAY too much effort
Lord Crazylike > hahah
Genocide Machine > believe it or not im totally self sufficient i make enough off the wrecks that i actually make money compared to the amount of ships i lose (I guess I’m my biggest fan)
Lord Crazylike > wow
Genocide Forge > ive stopped by sisters probes becasue of all the probers i kill
Lord Crazylike > haha
Genocide Forge > ok well i think my cover is effectively blown in here so ill see you later u know there is another high sec exit in this system
Lord Crazylike > yes
Lord Crazylike > this one was near my stuff
[ Genocide Forge > ahh
Genocide Forge > i better leave before your pod becomes too tempting... ltr (it was just sitting in the bubble next to the WH)
Lord Crazylike > o7
Lord Crazylike > You keep to your word, if you log off and leave us be, ill drop 10mil to ya
Genocide Forge > np, ill log for 10 mins wil that be enough time?
Lord Crazylike > lets do 15min to be safe
Genocide Forge > k if it tkes longer just private convo this char
Genocide Forge > jumping...
Lord Crazylike > mk
(I log both chars, 15 minutes pass)
Lord Crazylike > nm
Lord Crazylike > appreciate the honor
Genocide Machine > believe it or not there is still some honor in eve, its just hard to find
Lord Crazylike > dont spend it all on one type of bomb ;)
Genocide Machine > im out in high sec
Genocide Machine > he he
Genocide Machine > thx man (he actually paid me)
Lord Crazylike > Well, I do appreciate it
Lord Crazylike > That POS in there, the ASB guys.... one came thru with a Rokh with my BS fleet there
Genocide Machine > i assume there was well more than 10M in whatever you guys were transporting
Lord Crazylike > pretty sure he dropped a few bricks
Lord Crazylike > POS Fuel
Genocide Machine > oh really? i saw a rokh, i thought it was yours
Lord Crazylike > one is yes
Genocide Machine > ah
Genocide Machine > did you get him?
Lord Crazylike > ASB guys jumped into a a manticore
Lord Crazylike > no, he got off in time
Lord Crazylike > Anyways, i do apprecaite it. And may I ask one thing?
Genocide Machine > ehh im gonna move to another hole, ive learned alot doing this and sticking around to get greedy is stupid
Genocide Machine > yeah whats up
Lord Crazylike > when u nailed that scanner guy of mine, he didnt realize what was up (new player, no pvp yet) but did our POS guns even shoot you? You got the wreck and all, so im a little miffed onit
Genocide Machine > ohyeah
Genocide Machine > thats because an unmanned pos takes FOREVER to lock a frig
Genocide Machine > like easily 70 seconds (likely an over exaggeration)
Genocide Machine > so i have plenty of time especially if i just cycle my cloaking device
Genocide Machine > yeah that was a rough kill, he lost a sisters launcher
Lord Crazylike > ahh
Lord Crazylike > ya
Lord Crazylike > he was glad u didnt get it tho lol
Genocide Machine > tell him i killed a cov ops the other day with a smoke screen cov ops cloak
Genocide Machine > and 1B in implants in his head
Genocide Machine > should make him feel better
Lord Crazylike > oh damn
Lord Crazylike > well i feel better
Genocide Machine > it didnt drop though
Lord Crazylike > lol
Genocide Machine > but his sisters launcher did
Lord Crazylike > haha nice
Genocide Machine > and put those cans inside
Genocide Machine > well fly safe dude, sry about the bad beat, if you had those drones it would have played out differently
Lord Crazylike > aight
Genocide Machine > im gonna start a blog about my adventures keep your eyes open for it (shameless plug)
Lord Crazylike > aight man
Lord Crazylike > fly safe and have fun o7

We need more people like this in EVE, willing to take a beating like a man. No smack talk just, “hey nice setup, u won, I lost, well done.” I checked later and this guy didn’t have a ton of pvp behind him, which is too bad, if he had stuck those drones on me from the beginning I almost certainly would have run away (remember I was scared). With an AB I can’t out run medium drones so in typical ganking fashion I would have run to live to fight another day, but instead I got paid my first real ransom. I camped those RSE guys for a week and to their credit they didn’t pay me a cent, I tell this guy he can pass all his shit and he seems to insist that he pay me 10M so I log off. It’s absolutely true, they are more scared of you than you are of them. Was this guy a n3wb!!!!111!!one!!! for paying me… no he wasn’t. He seemed to be running a successful wormhole corp, he just incorrectly assessed my abilities. I really can’t imagine any 5 ships in eve that couldn’t kill one uncloaked SB. Hell even with 5 retrievers, somebody would have brought 5 warrior Is. I felt his pain though, because that used to be me, I was terrified of pvp, anytime I was engaged I would try and run, never did it occur to me that I could stand and fight. My RL buddy Rhohktar put it all in perspective for me later:

Genocide Machine > ouch that thorax was 63M.... yikes that blows for him he was a decent guy
Genocide Machine > k dude imgonna roll for now, text me if ***** gets on (to protect the innocent)
Rhohktar Gallimafury > thats what happens when you kill everyone you meet
Genocide Machine > i love u man (I was into the victory scotch)
Rhohktar Gallimafury > i know
Genocide Machine > true true

It was true. I’m a softee at heart, I really did feel for Lord Crazylike, because he was a stand up guy. We all like to think that EVE is a true representation of what the future might be like, but I have more faith in humanity than to think that in the future every man, woman and child will kill you for nothing more than the sweet sweet sound of an explosion (which I’m well aware I wouldn’t hear). EVE is an astounding game, and CCP has my unending devotion for making it, but by far the most unrealistic part is not in the programming, but in the human interaction. Only in an internet setting are people willing to kill random strangers for what they may or may not be carrying in their cargoholds. Regardless, I was 10M richer and survived a combat ship uncloak.

5 comments:

  1. The more time you spend in WH space the more stupid stuff you see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some might argue that art reflects society, and that a lot of people would shoot someone in the face for nothing more than, say, their Air Jordans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with Prag here. In the last 6 weeks, the area I live in has had 6 Police officers ambushed and killed, and a few other wounded. Several other news worthy murders have taken place as well. Including a guy who killed his grielfriend and their little girl. No remorse whatsoever with these people. They don't believe they should be punished for that which they do.

    This blog, BTW, has had me linking it to my entire corp, as it is a good one and insightful. I have pulled plenty of my own ganks, and got bored, but you spark my interest here =] I am now thinking of not just farniming my own holes, but using an SB and prober myself to pull some of those same antics. It sounds like fun being the hunter in that aspect.

    In fact, I've also considered a cloaked Vaga to do the same. I know U'K loves that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you seriously overestimate humanity...
    The majority of the populace would, given TOTAL freedom (without repercussions of ANY sort), off their neighbor for that killer sound system he's got...
    Slight exaggeration, but only SLIGHT...

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT blog by the way :)
    Keep great posts coming.. Work is boring w/out good reads :)

    ReplyDelete