Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You'll shoot your eye out

It started as any other roam, I found a drake on scan away from his tower in a class 3. I managed to find his site and noted that he was looting the site while he ran it. Fortunately I had just fitted a ‘phoon for just such an occasion and I warped off to the exit hole where my Battleship waited 1 jump away. Out of sheer luck I arrived at the hole as a Badger MkII uncloaked, It was the start of a bad afternoon for him. A few volleys later it was a wreck, corpse and 4 secure containers. I looted what I could and monitored the scanner. The drake had gone off scan, presumably to the tower at the outer planets. I left in my prober to get my hauler to loot the rest of the 4 secure containers that had dropped. The drake came back to the hole and I engaged him a few times in my bomber from a safe range in hopes of scaring him away, but he shot back and eventually drove me off twice.

Unable to loot the containers with the drake there I went and got my ‘phoon. After a ship swap I found myself camping the hole in my ‘phoon with my hauler outside. What he did next is one of the most unexplainable things I’ve ever seen. He jumped the drake in from high sec and deployed a medium warp disruption sphere at the hole while I was there. He proceeded to never engage me for the rest of our engagements. That’s right he never once shot me or even deployed his drones. After deploying the bubble I got him to about 20% shields when he jumped to high sec. I assumed our little engagement was over when he jumped back through to the unknown side after only about 3 minutes. I engaged him again and got him to about 30% shields when his 5 minutes were up and he jumped back through to empire.

Learning from my mistakes I switched from kinetic ammo to EM ammo. He of course had not learned from his mistakes and jumped back through the hole again after only 2 or 3 minutes. The EM torps tore through him much faster and he found himself in his pod. He requested I pod him and I obliged. Who bubbles themselves out of their own wormhole? Where was he keeping me from going? Why bubble the hole in the first place against a superior foe when you have no one else coming to help? Why did he never fight back? I assumed at any minute that he had buddies coming to help, but they never showed up and I was always in jump range of the hole

I assume the constant jumping was him trying to collapse the hole, but it was still a fresh hole, doing so in a battlecruiser would have taken an extraordinarily long time. I can only assume that the answers to these questions can be summed up by the fact that he just didn’t understand how wormholes work. He was very obviously mismanaging his 5 minute timers. He could very easily have spent all 5 minutes on the high sec side and only had to wait the 30 second session change timer in unknown territory. He clearly didn’t understand that collapsing a wormhole would be a monumental task in a single battlecruiser, knowing that the WH was big enough to pass a battleship. EVE is an incredibly complex game that requires real research to be done in the real world to prepare you for just about anything you are going to do. If you don’t like that aspect of the game, then EVE probably isn’t for you and unknown space is definitely a bad idea.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn "Org, this is a fun read. I'm glad I stumbled upon it during my dawdling at the office this week, and I hope you keep up with it; both the blog and the stalking. :)

    Cheers,

    -"Jobu"

    PS: Give Jim, Mike, and Kyle a wave from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jobu, tell Algol to fix the TMO website. And stay awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Major win... My thanks for destroying one of those annoying ships. I hope to do the same someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mike.

    I would talk to Chris, but I have been a persona non-grata with that whole crew for about 2 years now. /shrug

    I think I saw, during my procrastination surfing at work last week, that Jim was raiding with them again. Maybe ask him to bug 'em.

    Now let's all get back to the subject at hand... sneaky death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely give EVE a try. We have about 10 people on regularly and do PvP ops every Sunday with sneaky death runs helmed by Genocide Machine.

    Making Holies poop themselves when a half dozen Stealth Bombers uncloak is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the offer Mike. I am enjoying playing Warhammer Online atm and not really interested in making the switch. Yes, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have found it surprisingly fun. A healer with teeth is a riot to play some days.

    Should I ever need a change of pvp scenery I promise to look you guys up though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fairly sure the timer is 4 minutes.

    ReplyDelete