Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The dreaded Candiru

I read the EVE forums pretty regularly and am always amused by the posts about the death/rebirth/lack/bounty of solo pvp in EVE. As a (mostly) solo pvp’r I feel the need to weigh in.

Firstly, most people who claim there is little to no solo pvp in EVE don’t count ganking as true pvp. I’d like to clear a few things up, first of all, although the kills I make are typically straight up, cold hearted, remorseless ganks. I sneak up on helpless miners, haulers or looters, uncloak and annihilate them. That does not mean that I am not pvping. The simple act of flying my high value bomber, which is effectively uninsurable, into a wormhole is a dangerous art form. I’ve jumped into bubbles, campers and am rarely met with open arms. Once I am there, I must locate and sneak up on my targets undetected, which often requires very advanced, personally developed, tactics. Only then do I get to uncloak and gank the guy. After ganking the guy, I need to loot the wreck unable to cloak for a time period and then exit safely as his corp mobilizes. There is so much more that goes into my kills than just F1-F4. There is just as much skill in what I do as solo frig or cruiser encounters in low/hi sec. What people often fail to recognize is that EVE provides long term pvp, instead of instant gratification. PVP in EVE counts so much more than you’re the bad guy… I’m gonna get you bad guy. Everything goes into it, your wallets, your experience, your political stances, your friends, the location, and finally and almost least important your ship and fit. That’s EVE love it or leave it.

Secondly, I’m sick of people who idealize honorable PVP, and slam gankers, scammers, ninja looters, and pirates. Most of these people grind missions, manufactur, mine, trade or some other activity to make money. Well some of us don’t enjoy any of that (although I’m starting to like manufacturing) and have found ways to actually enjoy the way we make isk. Of course we appreciate and depend on those of you who grind your isk, so we can operate our “businesses”. Let me preface my next statement by saying I hate pvp in virtually all MMOs. That being said, EVE is a pvp game through and through, no matter what you are doing, you are pvping. Everything is competition, nothing comes for free. Missions used to be solo content, but thankfully ninja looters have filled the void. Also remember that what many of us do is actually profitable for us, so that we don’t have to grind for enough money for honorable pvp. EVE’s pvp takes place over a longer time scale, who can get to where they want to be or how they want to play first and then who has the most fun. Of course if that’s true, I’ve already won.

This is a blog about cold blooded kills though, and I have a great one for you, It’s even against not one, but three combat ships. I scouted out three ships running an anomaly, a Raven, a Harbringer, and a Drake. With my interest peaked I info’d the pilot and discovered that the two BC pilots had only about a month of training time and the Raven had about 1.5 years. Liking my odds against such inexperienced pilots I jumped out and got in my ‘phoon. I warped to zero on the Raven and opened up. The Harbringer actually targeted me back before warping off and the drake simply ran. The Raven didn’t even fight back, it’s like I wrote the script for that battle before it ever started. I warped out and later crossed path with a stabber. Scared of engaging such a fast ship in my bomber I returned to my now trusty ‘phoon, combat probed him and warped to about 5km on him. He put up a meager defensive, but quickly popped. Then I saw his fit… WTF? Who leaves ALL your lows empty?

6 comments:

  1. I love the Eve sandbox environment - Eve would not be the game it is without all of the people in game and the philosophy of risk versus reward. I enjoy reading your blog and the work you do, although I don't run that way.

    We are a NRDS corp, thankfully, in low-sec there are no shortage of people who like to shoot first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to roll in slyph and was NRDS, ireally liked the model for 0.0 ops, Im hoping the recent 0.0 changes with sov dont completely kill the model.

    I recognize that my above post is a bit "emorag" which is atypical for me. I feel the need to preserve it in it's pure form for future generations. However, after reading I agree with anyone who categorizes me as an elitist a-hole. Of course I would beg for forgiveness and point out my other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So let me see, what your saying here is there is something for everyone and yours isn't any more nobel than mine...hmmmm sound like a great philoophy for LIFE too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear on the ninja looting. I started doing it as a respite from level 4 missions after finishing the Gallente Epic arc. It is definitely a combative hobby, at any moment an angry target could start firing. You also have to weigh the risk of looting a valuable mod suffering naked aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a former Eve life, I used to be anti-pirate. I thought it was unnecessarily mean spirited. Now I realize it's part of what makes the game fun. I mean, if people weren't trying to shoot you down, what fun is there in doing ANYTHING? I can only run Damsel in Distress so many times before I want to pry my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IMO everything apart from missioning in Eve is PVP. Especially the market. Eve is a pvp game with a sprinkle of pve for flavor.

    HOW you pvp is entirely up to you and the brilliance of this game is the pseudo realism inherent in the freedom you have to take a game mechanic and apply it to "good" or "evil".

    Whatever those are.

    ReplyDelete