Thursday, March 11, 2010

The circle is now complete

I mentioned in my last post about how important it is for new players to have a mentor in eve. By new player I mean anyone with less than a year of play time. I started eve a good while ago and managed to fight through my first year without a soul helping me through. It was tough, I had no idea how to make money, how to tank or any real concept of what pvp was in the game. I managed well enough and even convinced Ellemshaye to play and we have effectively mentored each other until today. I am super fortunate to have a relatively large group of RL friends who play and I love being able to teach the skills I’ve learned to them and see their pvp success early in their game experience. I took Nerbert out and we got a kill and I met HevyDevy just before this one. Nerbert even went out and got two solo kills. Enough of the emotional crap and onto the ganking.

I have grown worried lately that I will not be able to produce interesting enough posts for the blog. Most of my kills are entirely similar to each other and it isn’t all that interesting to read about the same guy uncloaking and killing a mining barge over and over. Fortunately I managed a great kill this past week.

I had only planned on being on for about an hour or so, but managed to find and quickly probe down an unusually deep network of holes all of which had towers in them. The last system was a dead end C5 with a typical tower. At one of the outer planets were 3 Dominix(How the hell do you pluralize that?), a Raven and a Scorpion running an anomaly. Intrigued I moved in for a closer look. They had about 5 BSs and a few cruisers to finish off and I moved into a safe position to watch from. It took a good while to finish, some of the BSs were outside the Domis control range and the Raven seemed to be the only one doing any damage at points. I think they finished about 30 minutes after I started watching. My prober was back at their tower watching. When they finished one immediately flew back and I think logged, while another got in a typical cormorant looter and started motoring around in the huge cloud of wrecks. The other three hung out for a bit repping each other, their drones and doing whatever else, but eventually they all left, one returning in another destroyer. By this time the first looter had gotten all but 5 of the BS wrecks. The second destroyer did not appear to have any tractor beams or salvagers fitted and did nothing but loot one wreck. I assumed they had wisely sent out a little protection. However they had failed to keep the two destroyers close together and when the looter finished one of the last BSs I uncloaked and ruined his afternoon. The second destroyer was about 60km at the time. I looted the wreck and was out of there long before the cavalry arrived. There were still a few cruiser wrecks, but I managed to abscond with about 140M in drops. They were understandably upset and summed it all up in local, to which I offered my condolences:

SecretMoonBase > mother fucker :(
Genocide Machine > if it makes u feel better i had to watch u run the whole site
Genocide Machine > o/

They also evemailed me:

Thanks for reminding us that our wormhole isn't our own private Eve server
I don't know if I should hate you or giggle at how funny your kill was

They were very gracious losers. I’m a pretty warm and caring person in real life, I guess that’s my best excuse for being such a jerk in eve.

4 comments: